Authorization to travel with pets (dogs, cats) to Portugal

Pet Animals - Circulation without Commercial Character

Non-commercial movement of pet animals is subject to certain health policy conditions duly regulated by European standards governing extra EU traffic to Portugal and other EU countries.

You should consult the information provided by the Directorate General of Veterinary Medicine (Largo da Academia Nacional das Belas Artes nº 2, 1249-105 Lisboa):

To and from non-EU countries (includes the UK except Northern Ireland) – DGAV


Consulate at Home (Post Mail)

Required documents:

  • Recent health certificate of the animal properly authenticated by APHIS (see notes below);
  • Cover letter explaining the service you require and your contacts (email and cellphone number);
  • Self-addressed postmarked envelope;
  • Check payable to "Portuguese Consulate".


- Before sending the health certificate to the Consulate, it must be authenticated by the "United States Department of Agriculture Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS)".

- If you live in Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, Washington or in the territories of Guam, Northern Mariana Islands and American Samoa, you should contact the APHIS Service Center - Sacramento, CA to know which of their branches is closest to you.

- If you live in Idaho, Montana or Wyoming, you should contact the APHIS Service Center - Topeka, KS to know which of their branches is closest to you.

- The United States is party to the Convention Abolishing the Requirement of Legalization for Foreign Public Documents, therefore in order to be valid in Portugal, public USA documents must be certified with the Apostille of the Secretary of State of the State where the document is issued.


Consult Consular fees here


  • Share